Monday, January 23, 2012

Vintage Broken Dishes top finished

I think that the necessity of the past gives a great freedom for the present.  There were  no quilt police back then for these kinds of quilts.  These blocks were so odd sized, cut on the biased with points not matching, several blocks having a "poverty patch" or two or three and yet together it is just fine.  It makes a pleasant visual statement and my guess will make a comforting quilt.  I do not know the name of the odd block.  Do you?  This quilt top reminds me of that saying, "Value does the work but color gets the credit".
 There were 15 blocks in the set.  These last three were so out there in size that I decided to leave them out of the main quilt.  Since doing what with three blocks??  I took them apart and now have 12.  I had to really starch them to be able to use them.  It is so freeing to be able to quilt in whatever way that is pleasing.  I do think that the old timey way has come back.  In my earlier years of quilting, things had to be more exact.  Even two years ago, I put a quilt in the show where I did wonky channel stitching on purpose for the design.  The judges remarks were to watch my stitching.
These are another example of generational quilting.  The fabrics and the piecing..different.  I love it.

No comments: