Sunday, January 18, 2015

Fudge Fixes Everything

Evan and I decided that this stressful evening was a perfect occasion to make Great-grandmother's 70 year old family fudge recipe...and in her old "fudge pan".I have had for 40 years.
  I am teaching the boy the family ropes...
Under stress, we all make fudge.  Fudge fixes everything...
 He has lined the buttered pan with marshmellows...I am boiling the chocolate.
As we waited and waited for the 5 min timer...Evan said...
"Grandma..you set the timer for 5 hours instead of 5 minutes..."!!!!  
Evan rescues Grandma, yet again!!!!
Ready in minutes...much better than Xanax!!
I finally stopped listening to my Beloved tonight.  I called the Hospice nurse anyway.
He came.  He said he has been a nurse for 25 years.  He said that the body was resting as it prepared for the "Final Journey"...and had we read that booklet.?  My love is hallucinating.  We had thought it was due to medication.  Nurse said that none of his present medications would cause this.  It is part of the journey.  He is detaching from the family...He wants to be left alone sleeping with his classical music on and with the lights on.  The nurse told us to up the Morphine and Ativan.  He cannot control his sleeping or his fatigue. 
 I told the nurse that he was telling us things that we did not want to hear. 
 He said that he would then tell us something we would like.  He said that because Himself was alert and responsive that we had time.  Time...time....time...

9 comments:

smazoochie said...

I wish I could take this from you, just for a day. I wish I could send you back in time to Before. But I can't do anything except send my love.

beth said...

I'm sending love, too, Diane. And prayers tonight for you and yours.

Karen at Birdsong Cabin said...

How wonderful that you can pass traditions to the grandkids. I'm thinking of you all!

Rachaeldaisy said...

You're all in my thoughts.

livelymonkey said...

Sending love......

Barb said...

i know how difficult that part is -
Hope the fudge helped.

Ellen Guerrant said...

Sending a huge hug and much love to you all.
Ellen.

ES said...

The fudge seems like a great idea, I am sure you all enjoyed making it and enjoyed eating it even more. Thank you for keeping us all updated I hope that it helps you to get it off your chest and onto your blog. Look after yourself and we're all sending you love and strength. You certainly give me strength every time I read your latest update. x

Debby said...

So very sorry for all this pain your family is experiencing. Prayers for all of you :)