Saturday, October 29, 2011

A new day rising and relaxation with a UFO..

My mind is unable to create at this time, it is befuddled and exhausted.  But, I am back at the machine beginning piecing several boy baby quilts for friends.. A week ago today, my mother went to the ER and was diagnosed with CDIFF.  She had very high levels of this bacteria in her intestines and not enough white blood cells to fight it.  The ER hydrated her with fluids.  Her PCP happened to be at the hospital that night so the ER doctor deferred to him.  He told my mother that he could admit her but she would probably die in the hospital.  She told him she was ready to die and that she wanted to go home.  So the ambulance took her back to Sunrise.  The doctor told us that she would die probably in 48 hours and at most a week.  She was having terrible diahrrea 10 or 12 times a day which was dehydrating her and she was unable to eat and drink due to Parkinson's progression.  We called home my daughter from Europe and my brother and wife from Miami.  We all took a week off.  Hospice is in.   She sent out many many snail mails and emails with the help of my husband saying goodbye to friends.  She Skyped her 92 year old cousin in Sweden and they tearfully said goodbye.  Over the past few days, there was a parade of at least 50 friends coming to Sunrise to say goodbye.  Her poetry group came and had a session dedicated to my mother right in her room.  My mother lived.  I do not know what to say other than gratitude and once again the realization that no human knows life and death.  My brother has gone back, my daughter goes tomorrow and all are going back to work.  My mother said that she really enjoyed the wake and hopes noone is disappointed that she has postponed the funeral.  So I am now back to blogging and trying to wrap my mind around all this.  I thank everyone who has listened to all of this...I am grateful.

1 comment:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Wouldn't that be great if we could all be at our wake and see everyone. Your mother has a great sense of humor as well as a strength to live on. I know how hard all of this has been on you but thank goodness you have your quilting to retreat to and regain your own momentum.