Wednesday, March 2, 2011

"Grandma and Me", snowball quilt finished

Finally, my snowball is finished.  It has mostly reproduction 30's fabric with a few funky fabrics thrown in for good measure.  It has Grandma's original doilies from that era, napkins from her canasta games and tea towels.  Grandma Edith Karlson Franzen, 1896 to 1996, clear minded and sewing to the end.  I love you Grandma.

 The airplane block is a piece I bought in Japan 25 years ago.  I love the backing fabric.
 A piece of a canasta napkin.
 The doilies in the border.
 A piece from a pillow, "Good Night" in Swedish.
 Her initials she embroidered on a tea towel.
Process!  I put the blue painter's tape on the quilt to mark the lattice quilting.  This quilt was machine quilted at my retreat.  I tacked down the binding by hand when I got home.

2 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I like the bits of old embroidery in it. I have some of those that aren't good as a whole piece but have sections that could be used.

Teresa said...

Its just as lovely as your memories of your Grandmother.