Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Pushing my comfort zone...WIP

Today I decided to try something new for me.  I took some of the paler of these laminate scraps that Marie gifted me last week, cut them into charms for a baby changing pad.
Even though it is a bit more time consuming with the pressing part, I think it is worth it.  I finger pressed the seems and then pressed with the pressing cloth.
Next step, cutting the squares into the disappearing nine-patch.  I plan to spray baste it and secure it with the "wiggle" stitch...So far, so good.  I have not even had to use my vinyl foot. Stay tuned to my new adventure....
Joining Connie's Linky party at Freemotion by the River
1/  Update...I am having some trouble with seams...Disappearing nine patch has alot of seams.  I switched to the vinyl foot and the trouble went away.  But, you have to watch the quarter inch seam with the vinyl foot.
2.  Update...no matter how much pressing, the laminate tends to want to go back to its original position...thus the seams stick up and do not lie flat...so working quickly with this project is the way to go.
3.  I use masking tape to number my patches...cannot use pins with laminate anyway.  But, beware of pressing the masking tape by mistake.


Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Looks so cute but boy does that sound like a lot of work! Thanks for sharing.
Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

giddy99 said...

WOW, I'm agog at the work involved with this! You rock!

Rachaeldaisy said...

I've never heard of a vinyl foot , i wonder if I have one in my bundle of feet.. It s great to hear your thoughts and tips for sewing with laminates.