Sunday, November 22, 2009

Antique Chips and Whetstones.




So my husband and I have been married coming up on 30 years. We spent some nice years collecting antique quilts until children. All of a sudden the antique quilt money went to daycare, preschool, braces, piano lessons, tutors, soccor, oboe lessons, horse back riding lessons, etc, etc....I know you understand. This quilt was bought in Phoenix, Arizona from a dealer. This dealer had purchased it from an estate sale in Sun City, Arizona from an estate of a lady from "back East". It was Christmas time and my mother and grandmother had given me money for Christmas to pick out my own present. This quilt was calling my name and it has said Christmas ever since. The quilt was purchased in 1981. It is hand pieced and hand quilted. I had it appraised at that time when I got back to Miami, and the appraiser said it was sloppy work...hello... I do not think so..

6 comments:

Taryn said...

That quilt had to be hand pieced. I cannot imagine ever trying that pattern by machine.

Michele said...

It's stunning! Sloppy my behind. What a treasure.

Sue said...

Wish my sloppy work looked like that. Its gorgeous

YankeeQuilter said...

Sloppy...did she really say sloppy? Oh, dear! Maybe he/she never tried to make that pattern before cause I have an orphan block that defines "sloppy" and it looks nothing like your quilt!

KarenQuilt said...

Thanks to Taryn, it's fun to visit everyolne's blogs and to see all red and white quilts! I rarely make quilts but do know how so it sure makes me appreciate all that goes into the making of them....especially one of this pattern! Lovely anntique quilt!

Lynn said...

Just found your blog. I am in the metro Phoenix area. I think I know what dealer you are talking about. And I think you should get a new appraisal. It is a wonderful quilt.