Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Great Aunt Carl and the Gardenia bush

Visiting Great Aunt Carl in Greenville, Alabama, about 10 years ago, I was given a branch or two from her Gardenia bush.  They had been sitting in her kitchen window in a jar for sometime and so they had roots.  I took them home and planted them in a pot and then into the ground.  With absolute neglect below you see in my yard in Charlotte, North Carolina one of the results of this twig.  At least 20 feet wide and 10 feet tall, it is the largest of our now three beautiful Gardenia bushes.  As I started to root more branches for my friends, I ran into some trouble.  It was not working.  A quick call in to Great Aunt Carl gave me the answer.  The water in cities is not what it used to be. So, she reckoned that I need to use distilled water.
I did and it worked, sharing the love of the generations to family and friends.
  I cut these this morning because the blooming is over.  I took off some lower leaves and here in distilled water in my pink trash can they will sit until the miracle happens.  Then I will share with my friends.

Now, if I have done this post before, please forgive me.  I cannot find it.  And, as my mother says, age is the great equalizer.





No comments: