Thursday, June 9, 2011

My fabric for my flag quilt

Grandma Franzen immigrated from Sweden in 2011 at the age of 15 all by herself.  She died 14 years ago 4 months shy of her 100th birthday.  This upcoming birthday is reminding me of her and I am missing her.  Her birthday is June 24th or 25th depending on her mood.  She changed it once in America because it interfered with a Swedish holiday and she wanted a day of her own.  Then she decided to celebrate both days.  And finally we all knew it to be the 24th after all.  The last time I went to Mary Jo's cloth store in Gastonia, NC, I brought one of her old Swedish paper flags with me.  Kona Curry and Kona Teal were the best I could do to make a match.  Although Grandma loved my Irish husband, she was always reminding me that I am 50% Swedish and not to let that go.  One of these days I am going to make a Swedish flag quilt.

No comments: