Friday, July 1, 2011

Antique generational top

Once upon a time 30 years ago in the earlier years of our marriage before the expense of children, etc., my husband got me a Christmas/birthday present combined.  Always a challenge since my birthday is December 17th.  There was a big heavy box for me to open with all family eyes eagerly waiting.  Inside I found bricks.  I also found this quilt.  I had admired it earlier at the Antique show at Dinner Key Auditorium in Miami, Florida where we lived for 20 years.  I was delighted..and even more delighted when, as I started to mend some spots, I discovered that under this part was hiding a flying geese quilt that was much older.  A great double bargain, double joy for a double holiday!  In retrospect, one of my regrets, is that in tough financial times, we sold the inside quilt.  So I only have left this top that covered it.  The green backing is also shown.  Dating this is harder since it is clearly to me, a generational quilt.  It is very delicate and has many holes.  Mending it seems such a task.  Actually as I was taking it apart back then, it I saw that it had already been mended, as I have one or two blocks that came loose over some of those shown here.  I am showing many of the blocks for those of you, like me, who love antique fabric and quilt history.












No comments: