Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Eamon's Quilt




The story.....We adopted Eamon when he was 6 weeks old, getting one day's notice. What is the most important thing for a baby in a quilter's home is of course the quilt...the baby ones were made in anticipation, but I decided to make a big boy quilt somewhere along the way. I used some of the fabric from my clothes I had bought in India and started the quilt by making his name. I drafted his name and the mariner's compass block and stitched them by hand. At that time, it was popular to do sampler quilts where every block was different. I did those by machine and hand quilted the whole thing. This of course took forever with two young children and full time work. When it was finished I wouldn't give it to him!! He was too wild and I had put too much work into the quilt. Eamon was not into chess and checkers. Eamon was into mud and climbing trees and running fast. No way. Eamon is now 25 with his third child on the way in a few weeks. I still have the quilt, albeit faded from the Florida sun. I offered him the quilt and he refused saying it was too special...Dear me...now what... So this is not an antique, but it is surely old and its home is yet to be determined.

No comments: