Saturday, May 27, 2017

Quilting, Therapy, Friendship

This post really should be read backwards...first the wave of grief...now recuperation...
Evan  loves every single one of his teachers in 6th grade...of course he did get a bit lazy this past semester and his grades reflect it...However, thank you is important in the O'Quilts abode...thus:
He made these potholders to order for each teacher.
We looked at their websites and found their favorite teams, etc.
Time is of an essence with two weeks left, so I told him I would bind them for him
 My friends went to the beach.
Their present to me:
And I have not even known them that long!!!!

I am reading, A Widow's Memoir,  by Joyce Carol Oates. 
 I love it.  I hate it.  I cannot wait for the book to finish.  I cannot leave the book unread.
I should be reading fluff...My mood is reflecting Widow book number 14 for me and
the month of May being, ALS support month.
I am sleeping and sleeping..
Then I sit outside under the tree reading and nodding off.
My favorite place to read and obsess about my mortality
is at the top of the wheelchair ramp that friends built for my man.
Somehow it is comforting...with its view of our entire back yard.
Like JCO says, spring has come without him....again.
 As I let my mind go to where it should not, my dear brother calls me.
He worries about me and I worry about him.
He told me...as often he does, that I should think of being happy, since in his eyes, I have so much.
He then said that in Miami, they had, for 10 years a washing machine that my mother shipped from Arizona when she moved to Charlotte.  Raymond asked for this old washing machine when Mom moved to Assisted Living.  They put it into an old wagon hitched to their van..It went from Charlotte to their kitchen in the apartment in Miami Beach, They plugged it into an outside outlet, out the two story window and enjoyed a washing machine of their own for ten years. Running down the stairs to plug it in whenever they needed to wash.
Now, he said, they must bring their clothes from their van to the laundromat.  
He figured that I did not have to do that.
He also figured that in spite of his BA degree and working two jobs between them, they still cannot afford an apartment in the New Jersey area.  So they live in their van.
He remembered that I had a big paid off house.
Although the rage of grief calls no logic and no control.
I told  him that I so needed and appreciated his phone call  xxoo
This weekend is quicksand.

Then, comes my friend Norie...with the link to the  sewing machine on the tractor!!!
Sewing machine on the tractor
Much needed fun...Thank you Norie.

The waves of the ocean come in and go out...a wave crashes, knocking me down.
It is such a pity that Mr. O'Quilts living in my heart just has to be enough. 

6 comments:

Karaquilts said...

I completely understand your place in the backyard ~ ~ it's like being on a bridge to an oasis ~ ~ I so love the out of doors, even in this climate (which has been mercifully comfortable the past weeks!). and oh, that magnet souvenir!!! Good for lots of smiles, I'm sure.

smazoochie said...

Grief isn't logical or sensible -- it just is.
There are just a few days left of May. Hang in there!
ooxxoo

Mary said...

The best any of us can do is one day at a time; and sometimes it's more like five minutes at a time. To echo a previous comment, grief isn't logical. Take care.

Sharon said...

Congrats to Evan on his potholders...they look super!

Sometimes it is good to remember all our blessings, even when we're not feeling them. It's not easy, but it is good to do. Grief has it's own timetable, and it doesn't have to make sense to anyone else. I hope you're feeling better in a few days.

ES said...

Are you hanging in there? Sending you love from my part of the world xx

Cotton Farmer said...

Diane, I'm thinking of you and your family today. Hope you are okay.