Thursday, May 21, 2020

Grandma O'Quilts Takes an Exciting Turn...

Excitement...Today came my rope from Amazon Prime.
They had been sold out forever.
Lucky me, it came in two weeks..

If it would stop raining in Charlotte, I would try to dye some rope.
Guess I will use this pan...without the handle..sigh...
Holding on tight to my history.
We left our home on Cape Cod when I was eight years old...
With us came this favorite pot which is at least 64 years old..
It used to be a pressure cooker...now only a favorite pan.
We called it the "fudge" pot...in which we made Grandma's special family recipe..
Sherry and her husband fixed the handle about 10 years ago.
My son has tried twice this past week to fix it again.
Last night the handle just rotted and fell off.
Contrary to my wishes, things do not last forever.

This current crisis...sent me here...
Making cloth napkins instead of buying paper ones.
I made mine different sizes, depending on the scraps...12"" to 15".
Actually I was persuaded by a blog, which one, I forgot..
MPat and Mary Lou are my role models...
I am quite late to the party.

The excitement tonight was my escape.
I went for a drive alone...away from my noisy household!!
Thought maybe I would just drive by Trader Joe's to see what I could see.
No line.
Only a few cars in the lot....
My handicap spot was open.
Meant to be!!!
Wahoo!!

First time in two months I have been out.
They sanitized a cart for me.
They showed me where the entrance hand sanitizer was.
They sold me two (the limit) lovely smelling sanitizers for my car.
There were tons of workers in masks at every corner. being sure we all
followed the arrows...Most of the customers had on masks, including ME!

I felt so free...so free...
Thank you Donna for suggesting 6:30...dinner time..
My doctor said I could go at 8 am, senior time...but that seemed to be full of
old people in line...ha ha...
This was perfect...not that I am going to make a habit of it.
But, for tonight It was absolutely divine!!

4 comments:

Cathy Cartledge said...

Hippy Chicken Flew the Coop! Take a grip on ye ole pot with potholder of ole. Mix thy dye and ROPE thee baskets, spinning round. Your a bit late on the cloth napkin craze. I've been using them since the 1980's.
You continue to inspire me.

Cathy Cartledge said...

I meant you're. I fucking do that all the time.

Sharon said...

Lots of rope? For rope baskets? Who would guess that would be sold out? Things are crazy.
Damn about the pot. I hate when things I love fall apart. Including me - hee hee!
Yay you for getting out safely! I'm still debating when I should go to the store. I really don't miss it. But I hate to have to ask hubby or son to go all the time. Things are still not very open here yet.

Karen said...

Loving the thought of making napkins. I only have a very basic sewing machine. Did you make your napkins two sided? Starting out with right sides together and the. Turn and stitch close to seams? I have not sewed in a very long time. Time to do something.
Thank you