Monday, May 11, 2020

The Seat of the Art: Granddaddy's Chair


This is a post about a finish...WOW..another finish
Good Grandma O'Quilts!!!

$15 plus $5 shipping from Waverly online...last year.
That chair pad was a perfect foundation to make a patchwork for my Mr. O'Quilt's recliner.
It was his favorite chair...
It evidently had a thin kind of leather cover which pealed off, leaving ugly.
After he died, I wanted to trash the chair.
OOOOOOO   NO.Everyone wanted to keep Granddaddy's chair.

What to do??
Cover it with remnants of clothes from my travels...
Guatemala, Israel, Istanbul, India and more..A little here and a little there.
Below is one pocket.
This pocket on the other side of the chair cover is a Janko pocket from Tuffy jeans.
They were so cool when my son was in middle school.. I save everything!!
That would have been 21 years ago.
Since this is a wild and crazy piece of memory, I have finished it with a large zigzag stitch.
Some places were difficult even with a walking foot and a jeans needle.
Oh, my ,...I am wondering if I need an industrial machine now...if I am going to create like this.
I love looking at the fabric...the memories of "hippy" clothes
that I bought during those travels in my youth.
This is all finished but the elastic that will keep it positioned on the chair.

Granddaddy....Do you like it??
xo

7 comments:

Carli The Quilter said...

I chuckled at this post. Such a great way to refresh a favorite chair. Nice job by the way!

Robin said...

I think it a great way to incorporate your fabric and was probably fun to make. Lots of memories.

Mystic Quilter said...

Bet you're happy you didn't trash the chair now!!

Ann said...

Clever you. Now the kids can fight over who gets the chair. Truly, it's a wonderful way to refurbish that special seat and all your memorable fabric.

Michele Bilyeu said...

Awesome! What a truly wonderful and creative project! Love this!

QuiltGranma said...

What a nice way to make a favorite chair have a new life, with your own stories and timeline mixed in..

Janie said...

That is impressive improvisation for sure.
Wonderful! I like colorful 'hippie clothes' too.
Dark and dreary is over rated.