Monday, April 20, 2020

A New Day of Learning

My wonderful son...spray basting a large quilt for me...
He says he could never be a quilter....We will see about that!
My heart...oh, my heart!!! He tells me, the quilter of 50 some years..
Don't touch it Mom...you will mess it up...
The Allen family gets masks...Evan too..
Grandma O'Quilts keeps her family tight.
I sent them in the mail xo
Lynsey learning how to safely use the big chopping knife.

Virtual school started this morning with Zoom meetings with their teachers.
 Lynsey started talking with me about wars, the holocaust, Mexican American War, etc.
 Wars and tough times, etc.
I told her that I was born after a war...
At that time, folks had to be creative with their meals because things were scarce...
Had she ever heard of Spam....Oh, yes , she always wanted to try it....

My mother used to make a Spam and egg dip for her get-to-gathers...
(that would have been 64 years ago, when I was 8)
Lynsey and I started in...... Five hard boiled eggs and 1 small can of spam grated together...chopped/grated onions and mayo added...Enjoy with Wheat Thins...

With my grandmother's grater,  we worked.
Everyone loved it, it is almost gone.

Then Lynsey asked me.....Was this the Civil War????
So much for homeschooling history lesson!!!!!

Doing now, what I do best!!!  And it is not history.....
Cutting fabric for friends and family masks...a few at a time, as it all is quite depressing.

I have done nothing today...nothing...no good sleep at night...cold outside..had to wear a jacket to read.  Grateful that my son got up for the early morning Zoom school.
I am trying to transfer as much parenting over to the children's parents as they are doing so very well.
I am learning that it is hard for me to stay out of the business...I am improving.
Going to watch the news...Guess I love to get all riled up.

A bit of sewing always  helps...Eamon and Lynsey are going to try a taco casserole recipe tonight.
She said that her aunt makes the best one...
So we googled it and they will try their own recipe tonight.

I am giving myself a pass for today's laziness.   Maybe I will be more productive later tonight

Great article below:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/avivahwittenbergcox/2020/04/13/what-do-countries-with-the-best-coronavirus-reponses-have-in-common-women-leaders/

4 comments:

Karen S said...

How wonderful to have the help of your son to baste a big quilt. That is lovely. We all need help with tasks like that. Great to see all the masks being made.

Mystic Quilter said...

Lucky you having a helper to baste your quilts!! Hope all goes well for the grandchildren and virtual school, quite a change but I guess no extremely early morning starts to catch the school bus!

Peter K said...

Thank you forthat wonderful article unfeminine leadership, Diane. I will be sharing it every placed we can. The contrast between major male and female leaders around the world is extraordinary. This article really puts it in bold relief.

Mary Marcotte said...

I know it's all different, difficult, and depressing. But you'll get through this along with the rest of us. I have made perhaps 50 masks but I'm cranking them out at my pace. It is depressing. People here making 100s! I don't know how and I've given myself permission: no competition, even with myself.

The grandchildren are growing and doing well. You take every advantage to teach them. I'm sure they treasure your love. I'm guessing your son is a half-step from the machine. Keep involving him in little chores till he's ready, then bam! He'll never see it coming. :-)
Have a wonderful weekend.