Thursday, December 11, 2014

Ripley and Me...

The calm and the comfort...
My two cats, Pumpkin and Tigger...excellent role models on relaxation.
Just for starters so there are no secrets..I was eating a huge bowl of Christmas peppermint ice cream at 6:30 this morning..
The doc said I would end up in the hospital if I did not reduce stress..........no question mark key....
.Huge case here of Asthmatic Bronchitis for me.
My girl took a well deserved break last night to spend out with friends.
Of course it was then..when  I was alone with the three kids and the paralyzed Mr.O'Quilts that life just kept on happening. Midnight...letting the dog in..wheezing away...water gushing, rushing from the hot water heater onto the outside porch.

My dear man already had donned his Trilogy breathing mask... strapped and suctioned onto his face. no talking there...He could still use hand movements and I understood.
Big girl..on her own..I turned off the electrical switch and...Googled...
"water rushing from hot water heater onto porch and what to do"

Now, it is Google and me....nothing intimate..just a new friend.

She...is Google a woman  ( no question mark key)... Anyway..
I found a source that said turn off the house water too..
Up at 3 for breathing treatments...no sleep at all..steroids, you know...


After the 6:30 bus this morning, I found myself pleading my case to a plumber...
Make us first...paralyzed husband, three little kids, old lady wheezing..
It was fixed at one pm...so grateful...
K...Even I know that this is enough whining:)

 Moving right along to Happy time:)
Strippy quilt I bought in Oklahoma on a layover when I was flight attendant six trillion years ago. I bought it for $85 and I still remember the dealer being mad at me for bargaining it from $95!

This is a generational quilt..top is much older than the backing and it is tied with what I used to think was postal thread, but now realize that it was just regular twine.  It has what was probably a very old blanket inside.  I have been afraid to use it as it is delicate and as I said before, I do not want it to die on my watch as I love it so.
Now I realize that in the closet it could die anyway...just a more lonely death!!
And our Evan....growing up...
When a person has ALS they need range of motion exercises to keep the circulation going in paralyzed limbs and to ward off cramping.
 Last night the CNA taught Evan, age 9 and a half to do this with his granddaddy's legs.
 My heart stilled as I watched the two of them together.

 I found this interesting link online.....
What Food Banks Need...etc
Just posting...
xxoo


5 comments:

smazoochie said...

Sweetheart, at chez O'Quilts, if it isn't one thing it will soon be another! But you faced it, met it & bested it. I bet you feel you didn't -- but you DID!
I love all the patchwork in your home. The only quilts of mine I am reluctant to use are those worn, homey & hand-quilted ones from my great grandmother. But I love having them out to visually warm me.

Rachaeldaisy said...

Diane, I think you're amazing!!

Courtney said...

I'm so proud of you! You go, girl!

Janet said...

My goodness, I would have panicked, you handled it well though. The old quilt you have is a treasure and best you love it in view now and again.

ES said...

Diane, wow! What a rough night, not getting proper sleep is really hard to cope with, I am often quite weepy if I don't get rested at night!! (and short tempered too). Wrap yourself up in some of the beautiful quilts and please look after yourself while you are ill.

Well done for coping, you amaze us all with your resilience, you are my inspiration when I am having a loooooong day with my girls. It sounds like it was team work figuring out that blasted leak.

I splurged yesterday on some 50% off christmas fabric, I have enough now to last a lifetime!! The shop was so busy and the poor cashiers were run off their feet, I had a very rude customer behind me in the queue, I just wanted to hug the lovely girl serving me as I am sure she had had quite a few short tempered customers that day. I really do think about the shop assistants at this time of year when everyone goes a bit crazy in the shops.

I am going to try and sew some elastic on some fabric now, I'm making skirts for my girls, this is a first for me and I'm winging it!!! x