Saturday, March 14, 2020

Confusing Times

Tonight I am making some receiving blankets...Such adorable flannel.
My salmon Christmas Cactus is confused...it thinks St.Paddy's Day is the day to bloom
It is showing off, knowing that...
In four weeks they will go back outside under my bench.

This morning I woke with pressure on my chest, gunk in my ears and fatigue..
So...with all the virus hype, I cancelled my widow's party, Lynsey's sewing lesson,
and did not leave the house....Jeeze Louize, now I feel just fine.
It was the beginning of allergy season with the yellow glow of the Carolina Cottonwood tree.
At first I thought how stupid of me...jumping the gun...Then I heard the news say
that the big bad wolf of a virus starts slowly, only to worsen with time.
Better to be safe than sorry...One day at home, already I miss my friends.

Grateful too , that I have five very healthy sewing machines...
I am making my sewing list now...Someone should have a linky party on what to accomplish during our isolation..hmmm  Tomorrow I am working on flannel receiving blankets, on my funky chair cover, and maybe finishing my linen bag..
I have one sick grand at his mothers house and two well ones with me.

My son took Lynsey with him to pick up last minute food...I had asked for a whole chicken.
Lynsey picked him out, put him to boil, and prepared him to freeze....
It was the first time she ever learned this task.
We do not make our beds around here...but we do teach life skills.
Then the girl got on the computer and wrote about the chicken...amazing
Jeff now is in 4 IKEA freezer bags all ready for future recipes.

Five Free Face Mask Tutorials,
 Just in case we need pretty ones...

I preach and preach, but oh, no...no one listens..
 It is our culture...The culture always wins.
I give up.
I let my eyes glaze over and refuse to have my feelings hurt.
Toxic Positivity,
More on the Toxic Positivity
Putting a positive spin on someone else's pain, is so insulting.

The governor closed the schools today for 2 weeks.
The shelves are bare...My son got my library books before the library shuts down.
Maybe I will get my sewing room cleaned???
Or, maybe not.

Hurricane Andrew in Miami taught me a lot...Cars are filled with gas, I have cash on hand,
Stocked up early so there would be no stress at the last minute, ordered my cough syrup online and my cleaning supplies, filled our prescriptions early.  Dog and cat food came in from Chewy.
Of course, there will be just that one thing that I did not remember...
Some folks thought I was overdoing it.....I did not care.
I have been through a  number of traumas...best to be ready.

So happy my son is with me.
Now...we wait and see...
I will, I will...celebrate the day and not fret xo

P.S...Thought this was interesting!!!
The Baby Boomers Listen to the Millenials.

6 comments:

Mystic Quilter said...

Diane you played cautious and that was definitely the safest thing to do, for yourself, family and friends.
Sorry to hear one of the grandies is sick, hope he's well soon. Re the virus and staying home, at least you have no shortage of fabric!!!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

It's good to be cautious and stay in! Fun way to teach your grandson a great life skill in the kitchen! Thanks for the links on "toxic positivity" - I know it when I'm being cheered along, but I didn't have the term for it. There's a children's song I dislike that goes "If you chance to meet a frown, do not let it stay. Quickly turn it upside down and smile that frown away.... No one likes a frowny face... etc etc." Errgh. We as women especially have often been conditioned to try to be pleasant all the time.

Peter K said...

Diane, thank you. Your blog posts are always soul satisfying. Enjoyed that srtivle, the millenials to the boomers. And, just sayin', compared to my shelves and frig, yours may seem bare.
Take care. Anive all, make comforters.

Peter K said...

Oh - you might like to know a few two bits about the Christmas cactus. Actually what is sold and we grow is Christmas cactuses a Thanksgiving Cactus. And typically it blooms again in Spring. Mine is doing the same. It originates and Brazil, where climbs the tree is in this known as Mayflower. There is a different oh, those slightly similar, plant there goes my Christmas cactus and actually blooms close to Christmas. Anyhow, thanks for your post.

Peter K said...

Sorry for typos and odd words. If I could see how to edit, I would!

Emily said...

I was worried when you started in on your symptoms! So glad it was just a false alarm. I enjoyed reading about Lynsey and Jeff the Chicken. I cooked a turkey yesterday and have a pot of turkey soup simmering on the stove. Crazy times!