Friday, May 6, 2022

The World According to O'Quilts

 


                                         

Bye, bye Portland.  Hello, Amsterdam and Cork.
Our Aoife goes again to Ireland.
Taking a rest before her big adventure...enjoying her Christmas sheep quilt.

Bye, bye Portland.  Soon, Hi there Ireland xo

My mother, Alice Franzen Clemons Burt, published her first poetry book at age 84 and her second at age 86, inspite of the devastation of Parkinson's disease.
May 5, 1921 was my mother's birthday. Yesterday, she would have been 101
Missing her so much. Here are three poems from her books.

DAYDREAMS

Shuttered windows open wide
Sparkling sunbeams sweep inside,
Reeling on the patterned floor,
Polish circles on the door.
Dancing diamonds of delight
Entertain me while I write.
This is where I want to be,
Touched by sun and poetry. (Alice Franzen Clemons Burt)


CHOICE

In a niche in a rock carved by the sea lies a cradle of comfort, a haven for  me.

Threatening tides roar with their spume of salt spray while seductive waves rise only two feet away.

Danger abounds on this high windy place as the lure of forever kisses my face.

Alone in a circle of stone, protected yet wildly free, will I cling to the solid rock...or yield to the tempting sea?
Painting by Tatyana Kulida

Then it Happened

The moon rolled over
turned out the light
covered itself with 
a blanket of night.

Here she is at 90, Cinco de Mayo birthday as usual xoxo




Thirteen year old someone went to their first Bat Mitzvah last week.
She announced she was going, she gave me $30 for her dress, she went online and ordered it.
This is the upside of  independence at 13.
We will not discuss the downside.!!!!!

My dear man loved!! roses.  In Miami, he had 80 rose bushes, entering them into rose shows.
This pink climber is the first rose he planted 22 years ago when we bought our home in Charlotte.
It blooms once a year for a week or two and smells sooo devine...

Inspite of great stress from my adolescent grands...Grandma had a bit of time to mess around with fabric.
Progress here:
Some microwave bowls.
Progress with a bit of patriotism!!
I have a delightful weekend to myself.
Big fat thunderstorm to keep me company!









1 comment:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Such beautiful snapshots from your life. Thank you for sharing. Your mother's words are amazing. I can paint and quilt, but writing escapes me.