Thursday, October 28, 2021

From Coast to Coast

From Aoife's porch in Portland..
She and her daddy carve the pumpkins

To east coast,  Boo in Charlotte!

Boo and I enjoying the sun, a book and Mary Park's vintage quilt.

I bought a Dirt Devil to use in case I ever get my carpets down on my new floor. Meantime, Dylan is here, putting together the machine.  I said, "Dylan, Don't you want to look at the directions?"  Without batting an eye, 11 year old Dylan said, "Grandma, men do not need directions!!!!!"  OMG

Lynsey enjoying the Halloween fabric.  I am so far behind, guess nothing Halloween will be done this  year...sigh..  Nice sturdy table!!!!
Thanks to Carol's suggestion, I am reading this:  Jacqueline Winspear, her autobiography.
I just love  her Maisie Dobbs books.  I have read them all.!

Pondering chickens instead of working toward what I need to be doing.

I am soooo unfocused.  There are things I should be making for the holidays.
But I do not do that.  I should be quilting the quilt tops I have already made.....
Instead, I want to play with fabric or stare out the window or sleep.

Today, my visiting friend, told me that all school staff is generally suffering so much stress.
They are short staffed, there is a Covid scare since the children are not  yet vaccinated, etc and there is pressure to get the children back on track from missing so much learning last year.  Also only a third of former substitutes are available to work.

Then, I decided,  my focus should really be on teacher presents with a card:   "Thank you for your service.  Thank you for being a teacher. " I cut out 5 laminated pencil pouches tonight.  I read that there was already a shortage of pencils at our middle school.  

I really do not know who this new person is in my body.  She  is old, unfocused, exhausted and quite needy, and, of course plum full of chocolate... UGH...Not sure she is my favorite version of myself.

Our school system just voted on a 4 day time off.  This Sat and Sunday and Monday and Tuesday.  No one asked me!!!  No one at all.
I also forget when I stopped loving Halloween...
At least I got a blogpost up now....a step in the right direction.,

Self care will be lunch out tomorrow while I have a cleaning lady clean my house...Wahoo!!!







 

3 comments:

Nancy said...

I know when I started hating Halloween. When I worked as a teachers aide in a classroom. It was my first job after staying home with my own kids until the youngest started kindergarten. Worked there for 4 years and thought be the time I quit I was about to have a nervous breakdown. I had stressful jobs after that but working in a school is a special kind of stress.


Juliana said...

I especially enjoyed your post today. Beautiful grandchildren, Halloween fatigue, teacher sympathy, chicken fabric: so much territory covered. Do you enjoy Thanksgiving and the December holidays? At least they are right around the corner. Getting older can be challenging, and I'm not sure when we would benefit from a Getting Older 101 class. I think I have accepted the changes that aging brings, but I do miss my sharp brain a lot.

http://thankfullga447 said...

You feel how I feel a few weeks ago. I had no interest at all and I hate Halloween, only scary movies on TCM. I turned 70 yesterday and I was sick but on the mend today. I am back in the sewing room making bags with strings to have on hand for the holiday. I was organizing my stash by size of fabric but now I think I will organize by season. The school thing is scary and are being tested all the time. I am happy I have had plans for the past few weeks but I just want to sew/play and don't worry so much about everything. I am going to read the books you recommended.