Thursday, January 7, 2021

Scrap Frenzy

The truth is that value does the work, but color gets the credit.
Tonight I am calming my soul by messing around with scraps
The ever present, ever fun 16 patch.  The green one below is a scrap from a quilt my girl made for her MIL.  The red and white below is a scrap block with my husband's shirts.
When we first moved to Charlotte, I met Mary Jo and her store.
That woman knew every fabric and where you could get it.
She was dyslexic with a shrewd mind for business and a great memory for fabric.
I was in love...well worth the drive to Gastonia for any fabric you could possibly want.
We would be chatting, she would grab my hand and say lets pray.  It was for me, 15 years of glory.
 Mary Jo got dementia. She died...the store struggled and closed. 
 The store was the woman!!  And the woman was the store.

 My friends and I discovered Foust in Kings Mountain.  For a few years they  had huge scrap bins...I mean huge.  I would take my blue grabber, and grab those scraps way into the middle of the bins.
 It was soooo much fun.
We would go as a group and out to eat after...!
I found a bag of those scraps today.  Decided to cut the white ones into 4 inch strips for a 16 patch.
Do they go together???  Does it matter...if the value is on target?
(the green flower below is from a dress at Goodwill)


Tonight I am scrapping ..

Last night at 4 am, I fell...flat on my face.
Why??? I stepped on a Lego on the way to get the cat off my roll of wool batting.
Stitch loves to eat plastic.  
Where did the Lego come from???  Who knows...I do not live alone.

As it happened Lynsey...Sally my salamander had crept into my bed.
She was up in a second to help her grandmother up.
I broke nothing because I am quite the substantial woman...just sore today.
The children had been put to bed last night at 9:30 because there is remote schooling.
At midnight, they were still messing around, really messing around. Then they wanted to sleep with an adult...OMG.  There are consequences. 
This morning, I laid them out.
I hate to make salad...so I told Lynsey to make salad for me ....She got carried away and made both a tossed salad and a mozzarella and tomato salad.  (hardly a punishment for the cook) Dylan had to wash some walls....You do not want to see a picture of that!!

Once a week I get company...fabric lover's company.  We sit with heaters and masks and scarves and long underwear on my screened in porch.  This week we organized and folded my Batiks..
I am sure  you can recognize my friend!!!!

And so it goes...2021 Frenzy here and frenzy there....
We will survive..
We might even flourish!!

4 comments:

jane said...

Mary Jo fabric in Gastonia was the best. Sorry to see it closed. Where else to find wonderful fabric?

Cherie said...

I think you can send that young lady to live with me. I love salad of any kind. I do love to look at al your gorgeous fabrics and sigh.

Linda Swanekamp said...

I had a wonderful friend that would sort scraps with me. I have some friends who donate scraps to me since I am scrap quilter. Jan would dump them in her dining room and we would go through and organize them, take some ownership, and bring the rest to guild meetings. Tragically, she died of a heart attack in June. For now, I have told my friends no more scraps. I can't bear to go through them all alone. Your quilt is a scrap delight.

Mary Marcotte said...

Hahaha, I love it! Punishment is more fun than the cutting up! That's what I'm talking.
Sounds like grandma is having her share of fun, too. And getting her scraps organized. The fabrics for this quilt are gorgeous. I also like your 16 patches. Mine never match up so perfectly. (Sigh)