Tuesday, April 18, 2023

My New Friend, Betty

Yesterday I walked to visit my new friend, Betty...It is a long walk to her building, then to the top floor.  She had come to visit  me twice and she is 93.  I am 75 and I  huffed and puffed to her stunning apartment.  So high in the trees, on her sun porch came many birds and tons of humming birds.  It was almost like a bird sanctuary.  And her three bedroom apartment, like a gallery.  Indeed she is an fabric artist...classical.  I am a folk fabric artist.
Above is a fabric basket she made, shown in her sunroom...the very same windows that host the bird feeders.  Note the lovely orchids in the background.

With her embroidery machine, she made this masterpiece!!
The picture does no justice to the glory of it all...It is assembled in the "quilt -as -you -go" method.

This is the back of the quilt.  I have never seen anything like it. Click to enlarge.
Betty is the friend who made the lovely quilted jacket already shown on this blog.
Below, a parting gift from  Betty...her machine and IKEA towels make these:
My DIL sent this to me.  It was taken a few years  back..Now, they are 13, 14, and 17.
Even though I am now too old to raise them, I do miss them so.!!
Old me looking exactly like my grandmother at this age.

Back to my sewing:
Blocks on the design wall...ready to sew tomorrow.
My wonderful daughter sent me my favorite chocolate, Tony's milk chocolate with nuts...in egg form:

An unusual basket I found today in our thrift store for $5.
My heart is full.

My heart is full even though tonight  I was so very crabby.  I decided that no one cared about old grandma.. Whatever.  Gotta do a talk on that...self-pity...and over nothing at all.
Finally after ranting, a glass of red wine and pink jelly beans...I was done....and back in perspective.
God help us all. 








 

1 comment:

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

What a lovely thing to walk to a new friend's home and share a love for quilting. The photo of you and your grand kids is so sweet and bonus that you are standing in front of a quilt!