Friday, December 15, 2023

Portland. Day Two



Who do I.see first thing??? Our Big Girl….Aoife!!
An in person delight!!

For Christmas, my daughter has decorated her home just like the one she grew up in…The Advent calendars are in an age range…from 35 years ago…So happy she appreciates them…Makes me feel all family-like!

The Cuban restaurant we enjoyed today..Sitting outside in the cold with heaters…so nice
Since living in Miami 30 years ago, I have not had such a great Cuban sandwich as we had here today.

The routine around here is a night-night walk with Rosie, the dog…Into the dark night, in the cold…all lighted, these two walk with Daddy. Amazing…routine.

Portland is the city of Roses.  As in Aoife’s middle name:  Rose.
Here we see Mt.Hood, a composite volcano located an hour or so out of Portland.
Three to seven percent chance of eruption in the next 30 years …Last eruption:  1866.



Powell’s book store:  one million used and new books, the largest used and new book bookstore in the whole world. It occupies an entire city block….Talk about amazing….My sister and I loved it.

It is thrilling to be on vacation here with my sister….seeing my girl and her family.
Only one drawback, her three story Craftsman house built in 1910, is quite drafty…cold for the old grandma..brrr.
Last stop today was Modern Domestic….the quilt store young folks can walk to..
The Kona cotton view….


And so it goes…family at the holidays, nothing better…
I have never before posted thru my I-pad…one more new thing learned…





7 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

It sounds like you are having a great time. Cherish every moment.

Kelly said...

Portland is such a cool city.
The Mill End Store in Milwaukee (Oregon) used to be a favorite fabric store of mine.
Rimsky-Korsakoffee House Is the BEST dessert place in town, in my opinion.
Portland has so much to see and do. Have a wonderful holiday with your family. ��

Linda Swanekamp said...

Looks lovely. Sounds like you need some thin long underwear, the silk type. Layers always work. So thrilled you are getting and took this opportunity to travel there.

http://thankfullga447 said...

So glad you are with family. Would love to go to that book store and the quilt shop. Enjoy.

Michele Bilyeu said...

So wonderful to be all together at this wonderful holiday season! It's cold this time of year for sure! Enjoy every moment with your beautiful family 💝

Linda, The Vintage Turtle said...

Enjoyed your sweet post tonight and so glad you are with your family in such a beautiful city. Enjoy your time together and with little Aoife. Such a little darling with her best doggie friend!

Nancy said...

I love to go to Powells city of books! I haven’t been recently but have a bunch of books I should take to sell back. I haven’t been to modern domestic. I always loved Fabric Depot and still mourn it’s closing. I’ll bet that 1910 is drafty. We worked on our 1912 Portland style bungalow home for 44 years and by the time we moved we think we had finally fixed all the drafts. I still miss, don’t miss that house. We now live in a one story which was really nice when I had my hip replacement, but I miss my remodeled large kitchen from the old place. The longer your family lives there the more things they will figure out needs fixing.. And then figuring out how to fix without losing the charm of an older home can be a challenge, but worth the effort.