Saturday, January 20, 2024

Art, the Mess and the Potholder

Starting with the gift.  A stain glass peace sign crafted by my friend  Betty, for my niece, Alexis....the peace sign lover.

Work on the patches for disappearing nine-patch.  Four out of 12 done.

And the potholders finished  yesterday:






Now, the mess is me...the mess is I....OMG.  I have been looking for this neck light for days...wasted time and a lot of annoyance.  It was so  bad, that I just sat down at the computer to order another one, when there is was. in a basket by the computer table.  My brain is the mess.


Somehow when personality gifts were given out, the gift of focus missed me.  It so missed me.
At my age, it is too late...and it is a gift anyway, not a learned skill...I like to make friends with these skills...so far, so good.  There are , however, things I need to do myself.
I can focus if I get furious.  I can focus if I wait till the last minute.  I can focus with meds, I can focus if I run a few miles...ha ha ha...I try not to do any of the above.
I am a mess, my studio is a mess...I need to hire mess support.
or... accept life just the way it is...


2 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Focus is harder as we get older. I have to stop and just say FOCUS to myself to keep my mind from jumping around. It helps. Being in the moment instead of thinking ahead or back. My studio is a mess too....that is what happens when we are creative. Why does it have to be totally neat? I am not inspired in a neat room and I doubt if you are either. I love your potholders, all original pieces of art.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Focus is hard when you have so many things on your mind, which is a function of being creative and being older. I think of it like a zoom lens- sometimes you have to consciously narrow down to a specific item yet it seems like you are ignoring all else. My quilts are neat and fairly precise, but my studio is the opposite. Sorry about the mess, but the process is messy to get a beautiful project. Stop being so hard and judgmental on yourself. Your work is very nice and you do colors and composition very well. When you are sick,it is harder.