Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Sunshine Makes a Lovely Day

Monday night:  I am beginning to make this seat cover.  First step is to spray baste  one of the African fabrics to the felted mattress pad piece.  I usually buy a crib or twin and cut them to size.  I spray baste, iron and cut to size of felted piece.  Next step will be to spray baste the fabric for the other side on...Once this is ironed and wrinkle free, I quilt it....usually using the wiggle stitch one way 3 inches apart.  The back fabric is cut with a one inch excess in order to self bind...voila...so done.  Next time it rains and my outdoor cushions are all wet, out this comes to protect my bottom from a wet seat.. Great for pets and kids and  old ladies who spill..

Tuesday night  finish...easy peasy.
An inside pix...already to put outside if needed post rain.
With a utilitarian piece like this I like to double stitch the binding.
Love that the cover is two sided.
This was all finished while watching tonight's Charlotte Modern Quilt group meeting.
And:  binding made too....Good Lord binding is a pain in the  patoot!

Yesterday I had the energy to go to Marshalls just to look around...I went past the childrens clothes and past the childrens toys.  I went past the cooking supplies and indeed the cleaning supplies...None of these are needed at my age and place.  I did buy this adorable mug, just for me , to celebrate the day and the sun and my outing....

Tonight I made guacamole for dinner... We used to have a avocado tree when we lived in Miami.  Very  large avocados...I miss that tree like it was  yesterday.  I used to fly to Merida, Mexico where I learned to make salsa from our tomatoes.  We would drive down to Homestead to the U-pick farms.  I learned then that picking them green and putting them in the window...they would ripen in stages. What I did not  know, but have now learned on Instagram:  How to keep avocados from going bad by storing them in the refrigerator in a bowl of cold water.   And, how to fold a tortilla with  cheese and onion, putting it in the toaster for a quick toasted quesadilla with no mess.

Jeeze Louize, evidently this is a three day post .  It is 5 am, Wednesday morning and I am up eating breakfast. (memories, we had a banana tree in Miami too.)
Hoping, as finish this post, and I go back to bed, that this will be the third of a run of good days!!

 

2 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Well we are having sunshine here in I don't know when. I had to hunt for my sunglasses to drive to rehab. So super to have some sunshine! Love your seat cover project. Glad you have had some good days- sometimes you just have to wait out the bad ones.

O'Quilts said...

The key it seems is to accept life as it comes and not waste time trying to change it...another good day..a nap and more colorful sewing xoxo