Monday, October 19, 2020

New Beginnings

 

Turning my frown upside down...is our Aoife.
She smiles, she babbles, she kicks, she wiggles....she shows off a vintage baby quilt.  
About 10 years ago, I was in my happy space...The Metrolina Antique Show.
(sadly now out of business)
From the widow of the man who owned this quilt...made by his mother...I purchased this gem..
Thirty five dollars for a million dollars worth of love.  
All hand pieced and hand quilted with a story, to boot.
Now years later, it is loved by our Aoife.
1940 to 2020...80 years of love that continues on...!!!

Isolation brings memories . Today, I started wishing for a good canasta
game with my grandmother...She was such a great sport and a wise woman.
Let's see, Grandma would be  124 years old now....sigh...acceptance is not one of my virtues.
Instead, I am drinking my tea from a Swedish IKEA mug, thinking of her.

The above work may not seem like a big accomplishment.
Let me tell you, it is!!
I am speed sewing these Drawstring bags.
These are the "strings". 
 All made and ready for the next step on the already prepared bags.

At the midnight hour, I am a great philosopher...A little wine.. and some cheese and crackers.  Wonderful... Tonight my epiphany is that I am going to re-invent myself.
I may be aged.
I may have gained an enormous amount of substance and fluff in my body..   Ha!!
I may have creaky joints, etc.
However, in this lonely time of Covid...there has to be something I can do in order to keep succeeding 
and to bring a smile to others.

This positivity is courtesy o Linda and Suzette..
(the Sparkle folks)
It is also courtesy of my physical therapists and my drive around town today.
Even from the grave, my mother encourages me on.

For You

I will weave a poem
Of fillagree and lace
Angel hair and sunny thoughts
And the beauty of your face
Though it will not do justice
To all the things you are:
The best of life
The brightest light
 A shiny golden star..

That in spite of gloom, remember that this is inside all of us.
xo






3 comments:

Courtney said...

Hi Diane, I'm glad to see you're hanging in there. Your granddaughter is just a delight to see in my feed. And I always love to read your mother's poetry. This one made my day! Lots of love

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

What a beautiful post, with the bookends of your grand baby, and your mother's beautiful poem.

Michele Bilyeu said...

Just beautiful! All of it and you!!