Friday, October 23, 2020

Gifts of the Day


A lovely masked, backyard visit with a friend today...LOOK at what she gave me.
Unbelievable..  She found it at a garage sale...Thank you Christine!!!!  The visit was gift enough in these lonely times.
This quilt top is in two pieces.  It  looks like it was made for twin beds as the edges are finished.
There are 48 blocks, for the 48 states. (Hawaii and Alaska did not join up until 1959)
Looks like this work is from the 1930's or 40's  It is a meticulously hand embroidered and hand pieced work of art.  Each state has the state flower embroidered and named in thread.
Even though I thought my collecting days were over...hmmmm...I fell in love with this immediately.
It is a wonderful show and tell for those of us who are passionate with quilty things.


Aoife wants you to know that she is not sure that she likes the fall weather.
The weather is pretty crisp in Portland right now.
She looks just like her daddy in this picture!!!
She does love to take a walk, however.
Aoife was 3 months old  yesterday!!!

 My loneliness today is for my own youth. 
I so miss the young me with no aches and pains and lots of energy.

 For some reason I did not get the message, that I too...would get old and wobbly, never mind, the death thing.  (OMG)

Lynsey came home today after school...I had missed her so.  She made cookies and cornbread for the soup.  We all played canasta...too fun...a relaxing day...

Early November, after the election, Dylan goes back to school for two days a week.Four weeks later, on November 30, Lynsey goes...one whole week on and two weeks remotely.  I asked Dylan to pick out some fabric for an extra mask for school  This is what  he brought me.

Good thing I asked him, as I never would have dreamed that a 10 year old, fifth grade boy would have chosen this.
I will make it up for him tomorrow.  He can keep a spare mask in his bookbag.
The weeks and years are speeding along...It is nice when there is a great day like today.





3 comments:

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Sounds like you had a great day. What a quilt! Great gift. It must be so fun to study each block. That old timey embroidery is so charming.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I didn't get the message either about me getting older, less speed, less energy. It is a shock to see so many people my age dying. You and I both had a parent who almost reached 100 and was full of life to the end. I think it is a sign that we need to keep thinking young and hopeful.

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh yes - our youth!! Can I join with you and Wanda in the sentiments re not getting the message? Wanda is so right, we must try thinking young and have hope and for me my quilting, playing with fabric and colour lifts my spirits any time!
By the way, I love the expression Aoife's face!