Friday, December 25, 2020

Merrrry Chrisssstmas and Yesterday's News

Aoife says, "Merry Christmas"  from Portland. xo
We say Merry Christmas from Charlotte!

 The other day, I posted a picture of my darlings 7 years ago when they first came to live with me.This is their picture today.  Added is their 2 year old sister Ava...3 days after her 4th brain surgery.

That girl is a fighter..

 When I think of my own grandmother making Christmas cookies..
I will never measure up.  She made 10 kinds of cookies and hid them all in her bedroom closet
When she went off to Bingo, we would all sneak in there and help ourselves...
I made one kind and am exhausted...sigh.

The Swedish ginger cookies from World Market are exactly the same as what Grandma made.
However...World Market is absolutely packed with folks who, evidently do not think Covid is real.
I am speechless. (Then!!!!  Then!! Here came Margaret with a tin for my porch.  Such an angel that Margaret is!!!!)

Christmas Eve..There was my sister, all masked up at the door with a surprise lasagna.
I did not realize that I had missed her so much, till I felt tears in my eyes.
Lasagna is heating up now..The children are spending a week with their mother.
Lynsey received a phone for Christmas.  I just got a text from her.."Grandma, What is for dinner???"
Dear me...She was upset that we were going to eat her aunt's lasagna without her...Ha ha...
My favorite Christmas present 2020, makes it all worthwhile.
A big surprise that had been under the tree for a month.
Lynsey was coming out of her skin with excitement as I  opened it.
She had done exactly what she had watched her granddaddy do.
She wrapped the potholder she had made in one fabric, then another, then another..all
fabric she liked from my stash.  By the time I found the present we were all laughing with joy and Christmas fun.  She showed me how she chose the potholder fabric...TV for when I watch the news, cupcakes for my voracious sweet tooth, striped fabric for my eccentricity, and there is even a fabric that is suppose to represent, common sense.  It wins the 2020 present prize.
Memories from my own childhood, last minute sewing on Christmas Eve.
I remember a college prom, where the boy was at the house and I was still in my bedroom finishing my dress.
Dylan made his dad a jar opener with chip fabric and drawer liner.
A Covid Christmas cheer with Sugar Plum juice from Trader Joe's
It came with a warning, "May cause sugar plum fairies to dance in your head"!!

Sew Merry Christmas.  Christmas is still Christmas even if we are confused.
Our dimpled 2020 baby....5 months..xox
Peace and Goodwill to All


















5 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Merry Christmas Diane! It looks like the love was passed around at your house.

Cherie said...

That sounds like the perfect Christmas given the circumstances. Merry Christmas Diane. xx

http://thankfullga447 said...

I Love the potholder and the fabric she used. All that teaching is paying off. My granddaughter made us homemade ornaments/surprise. Another granddaughter brought a plate with blue and yellow flowers. What we teach them sometimes pays off.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Merry Christmas! All those photos are so heartwarming. Your granddaughter is growing so big already! And what a treasure of a quilt with two televisions and cupcakes too.

Mystic Quilter said...

I'm so happy to read that you enjoyed Christmas, even though were a few tears! Stay safe and enjoy your quilting!