Thursday, December 3, 2020

Walkin' Right Through That Fire....

The Rose

Trader Joe's has the best Christmas mint star cookies.
Lynsey was putting away the groceries when she spotted the two boxes I had bought for Christmas.
Here she is, putting them high in the living room bookcase, so the entire family can watch over them, just in case a sugar freak grandmother eats them before the holiday.  Whaa??????


Eamon has been working on a neighbor's car for a few days now.
He just cannot get the last two screws out..Guess who he grabbed away from Minecraft???
Yup...our Dylan..starting early.  And, Dylan was able to put his smaller hand in to get it out..He did it!!
Hawthorne Threads is my new favorite fabric shop online...I used to love Hancocks of Paducah but lately, the pickings are slim.  .Hawthorne's site is fabric candy  OMG...just to look is fun.They had a cyber sale, but before I found it, most things were sold out, not that I needed anything.Hawthorne Supply Company Is evidently the new name...love..

Whining below...you can ignore!!!

A harrowing day with joint pain at the grocery store.  Dylan and Lynsey took their own cart to get half of the items. She wiped down all our carts. They loaded the car.  They told me that I overdid things....As usual, Grandma.!!!!

Because of their helpfulness, I thought we could play canasta before bed.  One child sang, "Nanny, nanny boo boo, stick your head in doo doo.." laughing annoyingly hysterically.  The other one....well do you know how a male AD/HD 10 year old plays cards???  He jumps in place. He runs up and down around the chairs., He drops the cards...OMG

They fight over who is cheating and who is not.  They argue on card placement. They accuse each other of not playing right.  Guess my expectations of a relaxing card game with my darlings...was way out of whack.

Dylan pulled the blinds down so hard that they broke.  Lynsey decided in between turns to make red velvet cake. My brain is fried. I have not sewn in days.  I had to cancel a fun visit due to exhaustion.

More today as Lynsey told me that the only place she can concentrate on social studies is in my sewing room with Alexa screaming some new age music.

My son and Dylan sleep so deeply that waking them is a chore...a big chore.  After Dylan missed the bus this morning, i ordered online, two alarm clocks for deaf folks..they have a loud alarm and a vibrating pad for under the pillow...stay tuned!!

There is no sewing around here...none...zip..I am stuck looking out the window playing Freecell. I have started behaving like the children. ..zoning out..... Would like to go to Tuesday morning to get the Christmas candy, but I am scared to...Scared to leave  my house.  Covid 19 is creeping up and up here in the Carolinas.

In between remote learning classes, this girl decided to make some mug rugs...Her way of course.
No seams, only applique...Here I am teaching her how to rotary cut for the first time ever...I insist she wear one of the gloves that protect the hand.  Teaching a bit of measuring. too.

This week has held tons of stress for Grandma O'Quilts.

Good thing is that my hairdresser of  21 years came by...On the sidewalk, she cut my hair.

It lifted my mood..  My mother used to call the hairdresser, a miracle worker.

 Grief and Covid and holidays equals huge stress.  I am exhausted. It was pouring rain in Charlotte.  I stepped outside to admire the holiday lights my son put up.  I smelled a fire from the neighbor's fireplace.  It takes me right back to good family times....but instead of a warm fuzzy   I get an anxiety attack.  That is what PTSD is...A person is strong and strong and strong during the crisis..and once that has been survived with the help of friends, then the strength goes away as the anxiety comes... I love Megan Devine and her grief links and her book.  She reminds us that gratitude and grief ride side by side. A person is not denying one by expressing the other.

Just sayin'  if I was younger and stronger, for sure I would climb up and eat those Christmas cookies right now!!!!

5 comments:

Chay said...

Hang in there Diane! You are not alone in your stress and exhaustion. Covid, the holidays, post-election worry, winter, so many months now of isolation. It's a very hard time of the year. Hopefully the end is in sight with the hope of a vaccine. Zone out as much as you want, drink a little red wine, call a friend. Sending good thoughts your way from Montana!

Cherie said...

I think half the adult population of the world is feeling that stress right now. So many jobs lost and families keeping apart. I think we have to make next year extra special to make up for this one. Stay safe love. We will all get through this.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Thanks for the tip about Hawthorne - I will have to check that out. Oh you have a busy household! I chuckled about the alarm clocks! The idea of grieving and gratitude riding hand in hand - that's really profound. I hope your next week has *less* stress.

Mystic Quilter said...

Lynsey is one clever girl!! Good for her on the store shopping and being mindful re Covid procedure. Diane, I think many, many of us are feeling absolutely wrung out at the end of this year, what an awful 2020, and yes lots of grief for millions all over the world. I deal with PTSD so you have my sympathy. Keep smiling and think good thoughts.

Michele Bilyeu said...

Hahahahaha Hahahahaha Hahahahaha love love love your posts. Sadness, grief, PTSD and anxiety and all. You are still a trooper, a survivor and a wonderful comedian that lifts me up and makes me laugh! If I could I'd get those cookies down but I'm pretty sure I'd polish them off before I got back down again!