Tuesday, August 8, 2023

As Body Heals, Mind Heals too....so Grateful

Above is my rendition of "Meadowland", a pattern by Megan Buchanan. I started it 5 years ago and finished it tonight.  I am ashamed at the tacky binding, but delighted at the finish.  Mary Jerz quilted it for me.  I think I can use it as a fall quilt.
 I have been quilting since 1970...I self-taught by reading the initial, "Foxfire" book.  That is a long time to be quilting.  Tonight, I made an awful binding.  Tonight I cut my finger with the scissors.  Tonight I finished it anyway.  I need a label.  In all these years I have found that fabric pens fade.  I am not about to do embroidery. and I am not computer savvy....Any other  suggestions/??

In my new apartment complex, name tags for new folks  have a heart on them.  My one year anniversary date is August 17, but I could not wait.  A week early I removed the heart and added a bit of quilt love.
Thanks to my brilliant friend Sherry, it was decided that I decoupage some small images  on the plastic name plate.  WOW!!! I so love it.  Surely saved me money and DONE is a brilliant word.

Above is the beige rope bowl.  So much nicer than the pink one of  yesterday .
Finished this potholder for a friend.  Amazing what a difference quilting can  make.
Today, feeling so well, I had several visitors....Sherry, and Betty and a visit to Quilt Patch Fabrics.  I had not been there for 10 years...a big change.  Betty and I looked around, met friends and  enjoyed each other.   Dinner tonight with friends as I met a new one...a 2.5 hour dinner.
There is peace in my heart. Tomorrow I will go to the widow group luncheon and meet a new friend  here for dinner....Amazing...and just a few weeks ago...Pearl's cousin was banging on my door.  Neurosis told me I might never get better.   One more week and I might be able to go back to the pool.
The quilt I bound tonight is the largest of about 13 that need bindings  So thrilled to have it done.  In the next few days, I will try to find some folks to hold it for a decent picture.

I am telling myself to go to everything I am invited to.  It is so not healthy to stay in my apartment and wallow. Feeling alive again...I love my blog followers....they are all so supportive. Thank you xoxo

PS My wonderful new cousin has Covid...Will we ever ever be rid of it.???

 

3 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

The binding looks fine. The quilt is done- that is what matters. You might find someone you know with an embroidery sewing machine who just loves to make labels. There are some women like that in my guild. Sewing people love to share. Getting out going places is literally getting out of your head so Pearl and company have to go elsewhere to spread their brand of misery.

Mary in Maryland said...

I started quilting in 2001 because I wanted to make a bargello quilt. Bought the fabric in 2001 but decided to get more experience before cutting into it--which I did in 2004. Sewed strip sets in 2005. Cut them in 2010. Made the centerpiece in 2015. Sewed on the borders a year ago. I have made hundreds of other quilts. Alas, I no longer like my greens and red/pink/burgundy bargello. I have also aged out of quilt-wrestling which is what quilting this one would involve (90x100 inches). And if I do quilt it, this quilt which I lusted after in 2001 (but not in 2023) will wind up on my bed for the rest of my life. It needs to go away. Maybe I can offer it as a raffle quilt for the guild?

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Your binding is fine. I find that I like my bindings better after the quilts have been washed.