Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The Ironing Board Table Tute...

Oh, Happy Day!...The old ironing board is now resting peacefully at the Goodwill and I have finished the new one for my sewing room.   From Doyle...an example of the perfect wood which I was able to take with me to the store.. half inch birch 4 x 4 inch plywood.  It was a bit pricey, but so worth it as it is light enough for me to lift.  They cut it to order.  
From Jean, the idea to cover it first with heavy duty aluminum foil to make a moisture barrier for the wood.
This job would be so much easier for two people to do...but, brave me was trying it on my own.  Insul-Brite came next.  I did a wide zigzag to make it one piece.
Next came a layer of batting...
From Jean came the idea of using duct tape instead of the staple gun.  She had done both and said that this way was much easier to remove for washing.
Look at me...how perfect is this....?
Almost ready...but not quite.  Wasteful and lazy me bought something inappropriate for the cover because I did not want to go to two stores...a waste of money.
Because...when I saw this at Hobby Lobby...I was sold!!  Elaine had suggested ticking because of the lines to follow when ironing strips...Great idea, but love is blind...Mine will be crooked!!
More duct tape for the cover.
The finished product...does not show the vibrancy of the color...but it is...pretty...
I cannot sew yet.  It is taking forever for me to get this room back together.  I cannot find much, but it was oh, so worth it!!!!

6 comments:

smazoochie said...

Looks beautiful!
I'm still an ironing board gal, no room for a big surface like that in my room. Love that your space is shaping up so nicely.
p.s. also love Raggedy Ann or Andy back the on the shelf

Jennifer Mathis of Ellison Lane said...

Great idea! I'd love to do an ironing board table for my sewing space. Cute with the chevron too.

Sharon said...

Cute chevron fabric - and I love how it matches your room! Great idea for an ironing table. Wish I had the room for it. I planned on having/making one, but the reality is my room is just too small for it. :( Your room is looking fab!

Gale said...

Great idea about the aluminum foil. I have a big ironing board and did not use it and it did eventually affect the wood. Thanks for that idea.

Karen at Birdsong Cabin said...

Beautiful! Look at you go to town on your new space. I can't wait to see it. I'm loving it in the pictures.

Rachaeldaisy said...

What a great idea to make an ironing board! I'm glad you showed how to make one, I wouldn't have thought of the foil. I love your choice of fabric, it's so perfect for your super sewing room!!